Professor Ernest T.S. Walton (b.1903)
Professor Walton was Born in 'Epworth Cottage', Strandside South, Abbeyside on October 26th 1903, the son of the local Methodist Minister. He was engaged in nuclear research at Cambridge and in 1932 split the Atom with Sir John Cockroft. In recognition of this work they shared the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1951. In November 1989 Professor Walton was given a Civic Reception in Dungarvan and the new park in Abbeyside was re-named the 'Walton Causeway Park' in his honour.
J.A. Condon ( B. 1867)
Born in Dungarvan and educated at the Augustinian Seminary and Castleknock College. He became an Augustinian in 1883, then studied in Rome and travelled to America and Canada.
Wrote The Crackling of Thorns in 1915, a collection of fiction stories, some based in the Dungarvan area and illustrated by the Waterford Artist M. Power O'Malley,
James Vincent Cleary (1829-1898)
Born in Dungarvan, he studied for the priesthood in Rome, Maynooth and Salamanca.
Appointed Professor in St. John's College Waterford and was made President in 1873.
Was Parish Priest of Dungarvan in 1876 until 1880. While in Dungarvan, he was
responsible for major alterations to the parish church. In 1881, he was made Bishop of
Kingston, Canada where he died in 1898.
William Williams (1820-1875)
Born near Mitchelstown, he came to Dungarvan in 1850 and spent the rest of his life here. He designed the present coat of arms and seal of Dungarvan in 1863. He established the Keating Society, translated numerous poems into Irish and was an authority on Ogham. Died in 1875 and is buried in St. Marys Parish Church.
Joseph Hansard (1835-1909)
Born in Tipperary, at a young age he went to work on the Clonmel Chronicle and later moved to Dungarvan where he established a printing business in Main Street. Printed the Dungarvan Gazette from 1872 to 1875. In 1870 he wrote and printed a history of Waterford City and County. He moved to Killarney in 1879 and died there in 1909.
Edmond Keohan (1852-1934)
One of the best known old Dungarvan photographers, he came to Dungarvan in the 1870s from Tramore and opened a confectionery shop at 17 Main Street. He started doing photography from the shop in the late 1880's specialising in portrait work but also recorded Dungarvan town and the surrounding district. In 1924, he wrote the first history of Dungarvan.
Richard Edward Brennan (1846-1917)
Born in Dungarvan where his father Edward was Postmaster. In 1859, his father made the first discovery of mammoth remains in Ireland at Shandon just outside the town. Richard E. Brennan took over as Postmaster and was also a bookseller, stationer and Letterpress printer in Devonshire Square (now Grattan Square).
In 1869, he founded the oldest cycling club in Ireland, 'Dungarvan Ramblers C.C.'. In that year the first cycle race for a challenge cup was run by the club and was won by Richard Edward Brennan. The cup is on display in Dungarvan Museum. In 1883, he edited and printed The Dungarvan Journal.
Charles Smith M.D. (1715-1762)
Said to have been a native of either Lismore or Dungarvan, the latter seems more probable as he had an apothecary shop here. He took his medical degree in Trinity College in 1738. He was a pioneer of Irish Topography having written histories of counties Waterford 1746, Cork 1750, and Kerry in 1756. He is also thought to have been the author of a History of Co. Down 1744 which was the first Irish county history. His county histories were quite good for their time and were attractively illustrated with engraved views and maps. In 1756, along with several eminent physicians, he founded the Medical-Philosophical Society in Dublin. According to the Dictionary of Irish Biography, he died in Bristol in 1762.
Rev. Richard Hopkins Ryland (1788-1866)
The Ryland family settled in Dungarvan in the 16th century. Richard was educated at the Endowed School, Waterford and at Trinity College. He is best known as the author of a history of Waterford City and County published in 1824 and also published Several pamphlets. He is buried in the cemetery at John's Hill Waterford.
Dan Fraher (1852-1929)
Born at Scraheens Knockboy in 1852. Later moved to Dungarvan and had a business in O'Connell Street.
In the 1890s he moved to Grattan Square where he had a drapery shop called The Gaelic Outfitting Store. In 1888, he was teaching Irish in Dungarvan and started a local branch of Conradh na Gaeilge here in 1896. He was also involved with the founding of Ring College and with the G.A.A.
Maurice Fraher (1894-1951)
He was a son of Dan Fraher. Became a notable sportsman, he held the Munster and All Ireland championship titles in athletics and was a notable weightlifter. He was the first pupil to attend Padiaig Pearse's Irish school St. Enda's near Dublin. He died in 1951 on his way home from the 'Fraher Field' at Shandon.
Francis Xavier O'Brien (1828-1905)
He was born in what is now the Park House pub in Lower Main Street in 1828, his father was a wealthy Dungarvan merchant
While studying for medicine in Dublin he became involved with the Young Irelanders. Because of his involvement in the Fenian Rising in 1867 he had the distinction of being the last man to be sentenced to be hanged under British law in Ireland, however this was commuted to penal servitude for life. He went to Paris with John O'Leary where he continued his studies in medicine. He went to America where he took a prominent part in the American Civil War working as an assistant surgeon. Later elected M.P. for South Mayo and M.P. for Cork, he died on May 28th 1905.
Sarah Purser (1848-1943)
Born on the 22nd March 1848 in Dunlaoghaire where her mother was visiting relatives. She was the daughter of Benjamin Purser and Ann Mallet who came to Dungarvan in the 1840S and moved into a house called 'The Hermitage' in Abbeyside. Sarah lived here for about 25 years. Her father was involved in brewing and flour milling while in Dungarvan. At the age of 13 Sarah was sent to school in Switzerland for two years. She left Dungarvan in the summer of 1873 to make her living as a painter and settled in Dublin. There she trained in the Metropolitan School of Art and later went to the Academie Julian in Paris and also to Italy. She became a highly successful portrait painter and an important figure in the Irish art world at the turn of the century.
In 1903 she founded An Tur Gloine, the first Irish stained glass studio. She was instrumental in drawing the attention of the art world to the works of John Yeats and Nathaniel Hone. She persuaded W. T. Cosgrave to give Charlemont House in Dublin as a Modern Art Gallery and also to house the Hugh Lane collection.
Edmond Power (d. 1799)
The Power family are said to have lived at Ballygagin to the west of Dungarvan, where Edmond's father held a large amount of land. Edmond had a brother John and two sisters, one of whom is said to have married an O'Keefe of Mountain Castle near Modeligo. Edmond is said to have studied for the priesthood in Rome or Paris. He eventually returned to Ballygagin and became involved with the local branch of the United Irishmen. Tradition states that Power and a companion were turned over to the authorities by a spy called Seamus a'Gabhann. Edmond was arrested in September 1799 and taken to Waterford where he was courtmartialled in October of that year and sentenced to be hanged. A monument in the form of a celtic cross by Molloy of Callan was erected to his memory (the only 1798 memorial in Co. Waterford). It was officially unveiled by Richard Henebry in 1903, six years after it was first planned. Henebry gave a speech in which he stated that Power was hanged from a window of the Old Market House. Power's body is said to have been removed to Kilgobnet for burial.